Tuesday, February 24, 2009

ADHD diagnosis for Matthew

I know I said I wouldn't write any more about Matthew's problems, but I know a lot of you knew what was going on with the ADHD testing, and wanted to give you the news. I didn't have my "official" feedback session with the psychologist yet (that's not until next week). But given his issues in school for the past week, I called yesterday and begged her to put the process on the fast track. She did call back and gave me the "highlights" from last week's testing. He did very poorly on the Conner test, which is a 14 minute sustained attention test, and his results were very consistent with clinical ADHD results. So at least we know for sure what we're dealing with. Also, I had requested an IQ test. He is over 120, which puts him in the "superior" range. That's wonderful news, but it also adds a level of complexity for dealing with the ADHD. You know the saying "too smart for his own good!"

Anyway, we'll meet tomorrow with the pediatrician about treatment options. I'm very conflicted about medication. When I spoke with her previously, she told me that she has NEVER had a parent successfully deal with ADHD through diet and counseling alone. The ones who try that route ALWAYS return for the medication. I know it's a chemical imbalance, which is why medication works, but I don't want to change his personality. My aunt Bonnie, who is an educator, and whom I have a tremendous amount of love and respect for, has told me he should have the medication if he needs it. So that makes me feel better. So we'll see. One day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment